A mushroom blend is one of the easiest things you’ll ever do to create healthier, more delicious and sustainable meals. Combine finely chopped mushrooms with ground meat to help lighten favourite family recipes.
In addition to the drool-worthy flavour of blended burgers, adding mushrooms to your meat-based meals also helps trim fat and calories, decreases salt intake and adds a serving of vegetables.
Blended Mushroom Burgers
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
• 8 oz (226 g) fresh button mushrooms
• 1/4 cup (22.5 g) oats
• 1 lb (453 g) lean ground beef
• 1/2 tsp (0.5 g) dried thyme leaves
• 1/2 tsp (0.5 g) dried oregano leaves
• 1/4 tsp (0.25 g) dried minced garlic
• 1/4 tsp (0.25 g) dried minced onion
• 1 tsp salt (5.69 g)
• 6 slices cheddar cheese
• 6 hamburger buns
• Traditional toppings such as lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, ketchup and mustard
1. Place the mushrooms and oats in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped. Add the beef, seasoning blend and salt. Pulse until well combined. Form the mixture into six 4-inch patties.
2. Set a greased grill pan over medium-high heat. Place the burgers on pan and cook without turning for 5 to 7 minutes. Flip burgers and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
3. Add cheese and cook for 1 minute more. Serve on hamburger buns with traditional toppings.
Find more nutritious and delicious recipes online at mushrooms.ca.