No campfire? No problem! This oven-baked dessert dip packs all the gooey chocolatey-marshmallow goodness of the classic fire pit treat, no flames required. Keep it traditional and dive in with graham crackers or achieve sweet-and-salty nirvana and enjoy with potato chips.
And for those of who do have a campfire, Tom Filippou, executive chef for President’s Choice cooking school, has just the right tip for you to cook this golden dessert. “Use a heavy cast-iron skillet — not a pie plate — and set it over the grates of your fire pit and melt the butter. Add pecans and cook, stirring occasionally until fragrant. Add chocolate chips, top with marshmallows and cover loosely with greased foil. Cook until the marshmallows are puffed and golden and chocolate is melted.”
If you prefer to stick to traditional oven baking or want to make this when it’s still chilly out, check out the recipe below.
Maple Pecan S’mores Dip
Makes: 20 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Ready in: 20 minutes
• 1 cup (250 mL) pecan pieces
• 1 tbsp (15mL) (75 mL) PC Salted Country Churned Butter, melted
• 1 pkg (270 g) PC The Decadent Milk Chocolate Chips
• Half pkg (400 g pkg) PC Maple Flavour Marshmallows
• Graham crackers, pretzels or potato chips, for dipping
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Stir together pecans and melted butter in 9-inch (23 cm) cast-iron skillet or pie plate. Bake, stirring once, until fragrant; about 5 minutes.
2. Sprinkle chocolate chips over pecan mixture. Bake until chocolate is softened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Arrange marshmallows in single layer over top of chocolate mixture. Bake until marshmallows are puffed and golden, 5 to 7 minutes.
Nutritional information per serving (2 tbsp): Calories 140; fat 8 g (3 g saturated fat); sodium 25 mg; carbohydrates 17 g; fibre 1 g; sugars 14 g; protein 2 g.
More recipe ideas are available online at pc.ca.