The word “bibim” means “mixed” and “bap” means “rice”. This mixed rice dish is traditionally served in a bowl where warm rice is topped with seasoned vegetables, meat, egg and the fermented chili pepper paste called “gochujang” [go-choo-gyang]. There are many variations of Bibimbap, depending on toppings and the type of dish it’s served in. Dolsot Bibimbap is served in a sizzling hot stone pot, making the bottom of the rice golden brown and crispy as you eat. You can even have it with sushi grade raw fish or sautéed calamari.
Here is a Korean Food: Bibimbap recipe you can try tonight. Also great for surprising dinner party guests by letting them put together whatever combination they want with different ingredients you prepared beforehand. Your guests will be impressed with your exotic culinary skill but it’s so easy and simple!
Korean Food: Bibimbap with marinated flank steak and gochujang date sauce (SERVES 4)
For Gochujang Date Sauce
- 1/2 cup gochujang (sold in Asian/Korean market)
- 3 medjool dates, socked in warm water to peel the skin and pitted
- 1 TBS ground toasted sesame seeds
- 6 TBS water
For the marinade
- 4 TBS soy sauce
- 2 TBS sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
For Bibimbap toppings
- 1/2 lb flank steak
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in warm water
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 2 small zucchini, julienned
- 4 oz. mung bean sprouts
- 4TBS canola oil
- 4 cups of cooked rice (white sushi rice or mixed brown rice for a healthier version)
- 4 fried eggs (sunny-side-up or egg-over-easy are recommended)
- Make Gochujang Date Sauce: Blend pitted and skinless medjool dates with water in a blender. In a bowl, combine the blended mixture with gochujang and sesame seeds until smooth. Set aside.
- Cut flank steak against the grain into 1/4 inch thick, 2 inch long strips. Add 3 TBS of marinade. Set aside in the fridge.
- Squeeze the moisture out of shiitake mushrooms and slice into 1/4 inch thick strips. Add the rest of the marinade and set aside.
- Heat 1 TBS canola oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add julienned carrots and sauté for about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a dish and set aside. Repeat procedure with julienned zucchini, mung bean sprouts, marinated mushrooms and marinated flank steak.
- To serve, place 1 cup of rice each at the bottom of bowls and top each with a fried egg. Arrange flank steak, mushrooms, carrots, zucchini and mung bean sprouts around the egg. Serve with the gochujang date sauce on the side.
Explore the world of Bibimbap today starting with seasoned! Fresh Meal Kit! Whip up a delicious healthy meal from scratch in 10 mins!
*Vegan & Gluten-free options available.
Check out our not-so-ordinary menu at http://www.seasonedmarket.com
Article Source: EzineArticles.com