Control added sugar with homemade fruit roll treats
For example, substituting frozen fruit is a great way to cut down added sugar intake while still enjoying a sweet flavour.
But don’t cut out all carbohydrates. Carbs, including sugar, are the body’s main fuel source, so it’s important to include them as part of a well-balanced diet. Foods containing naturally occurring sugars like fruit and dairy products are nutritious and can be included as part of a healthy lifestyle.
Try out this simple family-friendly recipe for fruit roll treats featuring honey and frozen fruit. They’re great when bringing treats to the classroom at less than fifty cents per roll. .
Homemade Fruit Roll Treats
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 365 minutes
Yield: About 12 1.5”x 10” rolls
• 1 bag (600 g) Walmart Great Value frozen mixed berries, thawed
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) liquid honey
1. Preheat oven to 170°F.
2. Add thawed mixed berries and honey to a food processor and purée until smooth, about 30 seconds.
3. On a parchment paper lined baking sheet, slowly pour purée out into a 10”x15” rectangle, ensuring fruit is very evenly spread.
4. Cook for 6 hours until entire surface of fruit is dry to touch and no longer yields under fingertip pressure.
5. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature
6. Carefully remove dried fruit from parchment paper. Using scissors or a sharp knife, cut fruit into 1.5” strips. Roll strips from end to end and place in an airtight container.
Tip: This recipe also works with frozen strawberries.
Find more delicious recipes at www.walmart.ca/recipecentre.