Make the most out of that new high-tech barbecue you splurged on by cooking all your favorites on the grill. Start by introducing new staples to your barbecue menu with pork chops — one of Ontarians’ preferred fresh pork cuts to eat and prepare at home, according to a recent consumer survey conducted by Ipsos. Make a splash at your next barbecue with this grilled pork loin chops dish, served with fresh peach or mango salsa. Pro tip: Pork loin is very tender and lean throughout and both bone-in or boneless chops are ideal for grilling.
Grilled Pork Chops with Fresh Peach or Mango Salsa
Prep time: 10 minutes
Marinating time: 4 hours
Cooking time: 12 minutes
• 6 fresh Ontario pork loin chops
• 1 can (355 ml) frozen pineapple juice concentrate, thawed
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh basil, chopped
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
• 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
• 1 mango or 3 peaches, chopped and peeled
• 1/2 sweet red pepper, chopped
• 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
• 1/3 cup (75 ml) fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
• 2 tbsp (30 ml) lime juice
• 1 tsp (5 ml) minced jalapeño (optional)
1. Place pork in a plastic bag or a non-metal sealable container. Mix pineapple juice concentrate, garlic, basil, salt and pepper, and pour over pork. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, combine peaches or mango with red pepper, cucumber, parsley, lime juice and jalapeño. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. Drain marinade into a small saucepan and boil for 1 minute.
4. Preheat barbecue and then reduce temperature to medium. Grill chops with the barbecue closed for 6-8 minutes per side or until medium-done, basting frequently.
4. Serve grilled chops with fruit salsa spooned over top.
Discover more delicious recipes at www.ontariopork.on.ca.