Cabbage, welcome to the grill
Barbecue season is upon us — finally! — and it’s time to heat things up with tried-and-true classics and some bold new ideas. This summer, veggies on the grill are on-trend, according to the 2016 Grilling Flavour Forecast by McCormick. So try these thick-cut cabbage steaks with smoky bacon and crumbled blue cheese. Trust us, you’ll want to eat your veggies.
Grilled Cabbage Steaks with Bacon and Blue Cheese
Prep Time: 10 minutes + 30 minutes refrigeration
Cook Time: 20 minutesServes 6
• 6 slices bacon
• 3 tbsp (45 mL) Club House La Grille Smouldering Smoked Applewood Seasoning
• 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) cider vinegar
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) maple syrup
• 1 green cabbage, cut into 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick slices (about 6 steaks)
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled blue cheese
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) thinly sliced green onions
1. Cook bacon in large skillet on medium heat until crisp. Reserve 1 tbsp (15 mL) drippings. Crumble bacon; set aside.
2. Mix seasoning, oil, vinegar, syrup and reserved bacon drippings in small bowl until well blended. Reserve 1 tbsp (15 mL) marinade. Place cabbage steaks in large resealable plastic bag or glass dish. Add remaining marinade; turn to coat well.
3. Refrigerate 30 minutes or longer for extra flavour. Remove cabbage steaks from marinade. Reserve any leftover marinade.
4. Grill cabbage steaks over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes per side or until tender-crisp, brushing with leftover marinade. Serve cabbage steaks topped with blue cheese, bacon and green onions.
5. Drizzle cabbage with reserved marinade.
Get inspired with even more barbecue tips and recipes at grillewisdom.ca.