Add a summer twist to a classic dessert
Nothing says summer is here quite like coconuts and mangoes. Next time you’re looking for a tasty warmer weather treat try this delightful creamy coconut mango rice pudding recipe that Tom Filippou, executive chef for President’s Choice Cooking School, recommends for putting a fun summer twist on a classic dessert. “The sweet and rich PC Kent Mango combined with coconut creates an exotic, creamy rice pudding,” he says.
Creamy Coconut Mango Rice Pudding
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) PC Premium Medium Grain Sticky Rice
• 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
• Pinch of salt
• 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) 2% milk
• 1 can (400 mL) coconut milk
• Half PC Black Label Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean
• 2 large egg yolks
• 1/4 cup (50 mL) of unsweetened desiccated coconut
• 1 PC flavour Burst Kent Mango
1. Heat rice, sugar, salt, 2 cups (500 mL) of milk and the coconut milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape seeds out; add seeds and pod to saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 25 minutes, stirring frequently, or until rice is tender and mixture has thickened.
2. Stir together yolks and 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk in bowl. Stir in half of rice pudding, then stir mixture back into the saucepan. Cook 2 minutes, stirring. Scrape mixture into bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding. Place bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice and water; let cool 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, toast coconut in small frying pan over medium-low heat, stirring until golden and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Let cool.
4. Transfer rice pudding to refrigerator; chill for 90 minutes or until cold.
5. Discard vanilla pod. Divide pudding among six dessert bowls. Peel and dice mango, then sprinkle mango and coconut over pudding and serve.
More recipe ideas are available online at pc.ca.
Word count: 323