These protein packed tortillas from Ontario Bean Growers take white pea beans out of their traditional baked beans, soup and salad recipe roles and make a tasty pairing with chicken.
Chicken and Bean Baked Tortillas
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
Makes: 6 tortillas
• 2 cups (500 mL) cooked white pea beans
• 2 cups (500 mL) cooked chicken breast, diced
• 1 cup (250 mL) medium or hot chunky salsa
• 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) grated Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
• 6 10-inch flour tortillas
1. In a medium bowl, combine cooked beans, diced chicken, salsa and cheese.
2. Divide mixture between 6 tortillas, placing mixture on the bottom half of the tortilla. Begin to roll, tucking in the sides as you go.
3. Place seam side down on a non-stick cookie sheet.
4. Bake in a preheated 400° F (200°C) oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
5. Serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired. For spicier tortillas, add finely chopped jalapeños, minced garlic or green onions.
Nutritional information for one serving: Energy 478 kcal; protein 31 g; fat 15 g; carbohydrates 51 g; total dietary fibre 4.3 g.
Find more recipes online at ontariobeans.on.ca.