Warm up with Thai-inspired spicy soup
Carrot Thai Soup
Prep time: 12 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Makes: 6 to 8 servings
• 1 cup (250 mL) Carnation 2% evaporated partly skimmed Milk
• 1 bag (600 g) frozen carrots
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) Crisco canola or vegetable Oil
• 1 chopped onion
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh ginger
• 1 tsp (5 mL) red curry paste or curry powder
• 4 cups (1 L) chicken or vegetable stock
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) fish or soy sauce
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh cilantro, chopped
• 1 green onion, chopped
• Pinch of salt
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and ginger and cook for 2 minutes until softened. Stir in curry paste and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Remember that prepared curry pastes are widely available in supermarkets, but their heat varies from brand to brand so adjust accordingly. Refrigerate pastes after opening.
2. Add stock and carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until carrots are tender. Remove from heat and purée soup in batches using a blender or food processor.
3. Return to heat. Stir in milk, fish or soy sauce, and salt to taste. Stir in lime juice just before serving. Garnish with cilantro and green onion.
Find more great tips and recipes for sweet and savoury delights at www.carnationmilk.ca.