As we turn our attention to Brazil and our athletes this summer, it’s easy to find new flavours to celebrate our victories. To get a true taste of Brazilian culture, try jazzing up your barbecue faves with bold sauces like this zesty twist on traditional marinade.
Serve your backyard guests these pork and steak skewers, part of the Brazilian-inspired trend as noted in the 2016 Grilling Flavour Forecast by McCormick, and watch them come back for seconds.
Brazilian Meat Skewers
Prep Time: 10 minutes + 10 minutes refrigeration
Cook Time: 10 minutes
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) Club House Oregano Leaves
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) McCormick Gourmet Cilantro Leaves
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) Club House Prepared Minced Garlic
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) Club House La Grille Spicy Pepper Medley Seasoning
• 1 tsp (5 mL) Club House Ground Cumin
• 1 tsp (5 mL) McCormick Gourmet Smoked Paprika
• 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
• 1/4 cup (50 mL) water
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) red wine vinegar
• 1 lb (500 g) pork tenderloin or steak, cut into 11/2-inch (3.5 cm) cubes
1. Mix oregano, cilantro, garlic, pepper medley, cumin, paprika, oil, water and vinegar in a small bowl. Reserve 1/4 cup (50 mL) for brushing. Place meat in a resealable plastic bag or glass dish. Add remaining marinade; turn to coat well.
2. Refrigerate 15 minutes, or longer for extra flavour. Remove meat from marinade. Discard any remaining marinade. Thread meat onto skewers.
3. Grill skewers over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until meat is cooked to desired doneness, turning occasionally and brushing with reserved marinade.
Tip: If using wooden skewers, soak thoroughly in water for at least 30 minutes before threading with meat. This prevents them from burning when on the grill.
You can find more grilling inspiration and recipes at grillewisdom.ca.