Enjoy the perfect barbecue side dish
The perfect side dish for a summer barbecue is simple, fun and easy to make. This Black Rice Salad with Kiwifruit and Cashews side pairs well with any dish and looks great with a colourful pop of Zespri SunGold kiwifruit. Good to know: The SunGold variety is sweeter than a green kiwifruit, tastes like a cross between a mango and a strawberry, and is rich in potassium and vitamin C.
Black Rice Salad with Kiwifruit and Cashews
Servings: 6 x 3/4 cup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
• 2 tbsp lemon juice
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 tsp honey
• 1 tsp Dijon mustard
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp pepper
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 2 1/2 cups cooked and cooled black or brown rice*
• 2 Zespri SunGold kiwifruit, peeled and cut up
• 1 cup quartered strawberries
• 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
• 2 tsp fresh mint, chopped
• 1/3 cup salted cashew pieces
*1 cup uncooked black rice yields 2 1/2 cups cooked rice.
1. In small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, honey, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper.
2. In large bowl, stir dressing into rice. Stir in remaining ingredients except cashews. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours before serving to allow flavours to blend. Stir in cashews just before serving.
Tip: A serrated peeler works best for peeling kiwifruit.
Nutritional information per serving: 210 calories (80 calories from fat), 9g total f, 1.5g saturated fat, 0g trans-fat, 0mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 30g total carbohydrates (3g (dietary fibre, 7g sugars), 4g protein. Daily Values: vitamin C 80%, calcium 2%, iron 6%.