Simple summer entertaining with fewer calories
Store-bought pastry makes this savoury tart an easy, family-friendly meal. Blending mushrooms into the ground meat mixture means lower calories, but adds a lot more flavour. Created by Mike Ward, celebrity chef and dad, your family is sure to love this tasty home-cooked meal.
Beef, Mushroom & Chèvre Puff Pastry Tart
• Frozen puff pastry, defrosted
• 400 g ground beef
• 400 g mushrooms, finely chopped
• 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
• 3 tbsp olive oil
• 100 g chèvre (goat’s cheese)
• Bunch fresh thyme
• Pinch of salt
1. Add a splash of olive oil to a heavy-base fry pan on medium-high heat. Add ground beef, salt, mushrooms and mustard. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Slice puff pastry into 5 to 6 inch squares and place on a parchment-lined baking tray. Brush each square with olive oil. This will help crisp it up.
3. Add a couple of tablespoons of mushroom and beef mixture onto each pastry square. Add a few knobs of chèvre to each tart, then a few sprigs of fresh thyme. Bake for 425⁰F for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Remove, slice into halves and drizzle with a little olive oil.
Find more nutritious and delicious recipes online at mushrooms.ca.