Heating up on a cold night with hot, delicious recipes
Sharing a meal with family, often called a reunion dinner, is a fundamental part of the Chinese New Year celebration. Dishes are rich with flavor and ingredients, many of which represent luck and prosperity.
Try this savoury soup from Uncle Ben’s to not only heat your family up on a cold winter’s night, but also to help you bring in the Chinese New Year with good fortune.
Asian Beef and Mushroom Soup with Rice
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
• 3/4 cup (175 mL) Uncle Ben’s Quick CookPerfection rice
• 4 cups (1 L) homemade or low-sodium beef broth
• 2 tbsp (30 mL) soy sauce
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh gingerroot, minced
• 1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 cup (250 mL) sliced fresh mushrooms
• 4 oz (125 g) fresh snow peas, thinly sliced
• 8 oz (250 g) beef top sirloin, thinly sliced across the grain
• 1 tbsp (15 mL) hot sauce (optional)
1. Prepare rice according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, in large saucepan, bring broth, soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil and garlic to boil. Add mushrooms and snow peas. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until snow peas are tender-crisp. Add beef and cook for 2 minutes. Divide rice among 4 bowls; ladle soup over rice. Top with hot sauce if using.
For more Chinese New Year recipes, or to learn more about how you can win good fortune this year visit www.EasyFortune2016.ca.