Cook with seasonal fresh produce
While Florida’s climate is perfect for nurturing fresh flavour, its subtropical growing conditions that mean heavy rains, intense sunshine and sandy soil can create imperfections on grapefruit skin. So don’t judge a book by a cover — pick a grapefruit with skin blemishes and bruising. Florida Grapefruit also has a thinner peel than most other types, so you get even more juicy flesh with every bite.
Once you’ve found the perfect pick, try this recipe and create a grapefruit-inspired poke.
Ahi Grapefruit Poke
Total time: 1 hr 15
• 1 lb fresh ahi tuna, cubed
• 1/2 cup soy sauce
• 1 tbsp sesame oil
• 1 tbsp sesame seeds
• 3 Florida Grapefruits
• 2 avocados
• 3 scallions, thinly sliced
1. Zest and segment the grapefruits; set aside.
2. Whisk soy sauce, sesame oil and 2 tbsp of zest. Combine with ahi in a metal bowl.
3. Add scallions and sesame seeds and toss to combine. Cover and put in fridge to marinate for one hour.
3. Remove mixture from fridge; toss with avocado and grapefruit segments. Serve on its own or with rice.